Inkoos Mill, a former Corn Mill, takes its name from the original mill that was sited in the downstairs twin bedroom.
The sacks of corn were carried up the outdoor steps to the granary (now the Master Bedroom) and the corn was poured down the wooden chute (shown on the left) and ground by the mill. Inkoos Mill was driven by a steam engine.
Many features of the old mill have been retained in the building and are evident to guests who stay here.
Battlesea Hall Farmhouse, still a working farm, was built in the 16th Century and has changed a great deal over the years to accommodate increasingly modern lifestyles.
The farm stabled 12 Suffolk Punches to work the land and 30 great glass batteries powered the house. Water was pumped and filtered from the Ornamental Canal to the house and farm.
Inkoos Mill sits alongside a listed Ornamental Canal, one of only five in Suffolk, built by Joseph Fox in the 17th Century. It is 400 feet long, and in parts, nearly 50 feet wide. The Fox family would take a boat to an island at the far end of the canal and have tea in the Gazebo.
During the early 1900's, when the winters were more extreme, the canal would freeze over and the villagers of Stradbroke would hold ice skating races.
The Fox family were powerful and renowned, and the family lead vault can be seen in the graveyard of the Church of All Saints in Stradbroke.
Of historic importance is the Medieval Retable (depicting the crucifixion with figures of the Virgin Mary and Saint John, flanked by eight saints). The Retable was hidden in a secret Roman Catholic chapel in the attic of Battlesea Hall.
Britain's largest and best preserved surviving medieval altarpiece (12ft wide) was thought to have been made for Thetford Priory in the 1330's and is now housed in Thornham Parva church behind a specially built screen. It is a worthwhile visit to the pretty thatched church.